Monday, April 14, 2014

Public Life Thrives



On the other hand, public life is alive and too well in the city of Richmond. Compared to Santa Cruz, the pool here is spilling out onto the streets. Literally.
“Mommy! Mommy! They’re letting 4 more people in!”

“What’s going on?” I ask Ian, taking another bite out of my Cliff bar. “It’s utter mayhem here today.”
He shrugs. “They’ve got a waiting list going on.”
“Seriously?!”

On the one hand, this is so great. The community uses the pool and thus, hopefully, it won’t be on the chopping blocks when the City Budget comes up again. Richmond is a city known for its high crime rate, high poverty rate, and poor school system. Yet when it comes to the pool, it seems that all this tragedy is left out on the street. The Plunge is brimming with exuberant energy---were these the same kids that sold drugs on street corners?

I had a feeling not, but then, who knew? The pool was a place, perhaps, where the tragedies of Richmond could be set aside for an afternoon.

Which is a good thing, right? Yet, today, when I run into Francine at the Richmond Y (yet another thriving Richmond establishment), she was anything but enthusiastic about the Plunge. “Oh!” she shakes her head, the French accent stronger in her dismay. “Yesterday, I go to the Plunge and it was a Zoo! They had a waiting list. It was insane!”

“Yes, I heard,” I nod sympathetically. “I spoke with a woman in the locker room and she said that it was the end of spring break. That all the families were taking advantage of the last Sunday of their vacation.”
“Maybe….” Francine sighs loudly, as we let a sullen woman pass between us. “I am on the waiting list. And they cannot tell me how long it will be. 20 minutes? Okay I can wait. But 30 minutes? An hour? No it is not possible. I come back here and it is empty!”
“Really?” I shake my head in wonder. “What about the Special Olympics? They said they were gonna be taking up the pool on Sunday mornings for 3 hours.”

“I don’t know,” she muses. “All I know it that The Plunge. I will not go again on a Sunday afternoon. Though this Sunday, it is Easter. Remember we go there last year?”
I pause, thinking. “Oh, yes, that’s right. We did. Will you go again this weekend?”

She sighs again, the French accent echoing through the locker room air. “I do not know…..I will see. I will call and see when they open.”
I tell her how it’s 1 pm now. How Ian and I had gotten there right at 1 and so hadn’t had to sign up on the waiting list. She notes that the Plunge used to be open at 11. Maybe this is the reason for the mayhem? Two fewer hours to pile all the Richmond swimmers in.

Sullen Woman sulks by us again. “There is nothing that we can do,” Francine stares pointedly at her receding back, then shakes her head her head, resigned. “People like that, It will come back to them.”
I laugh, “I have a story about her.” But it’s too gross and I’m too tired to tell it I think to myself.
Francine eyes me speculatively. Then grins. “I will see you Sunday.”
“Yes, Sunday.”


For what better way to spend Easter than to participate in the Public life of the Richmond Plunge? Esp. if it's in the company of an opinionated French woman.
Oh la la!

3 comments:

oakleyses said...

prada outlet, ugg boots, polo outlet, louis vuitton, jordan shoes, louboutin pas cher, nike outlet, tiffany and co, tory burch outlet, longchamp pas cher, chanel handbags, ray ban sunglasses, replica watches, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, nike air max, polo ralph lauren outlet online, tiffany jewelry, nike free run, louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses, prada handbags, air max, polo ralph lauren, oakley sunglasses wholesale, kate spade outlet, ray ban sunglasses, uggs on sale, oakley sunglasses, replica watches, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, christian louboutin uk, cheap oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet, louis vuitton outlet, gucci handbags, christian louboutin shoes, nike air max, longchamp outlet, sac longchamp pas cher, longchamp outlet, michael kors pas cher, christian louboutin outlet, nike roshe, nike free, ugg boots, burberry pas cher, christian louboutin

oakleyses said...

hollister, vans, mcm handbags, hollister clothing, longchamp uk, herve leger, lancel, beats by dre, ralph lauren, instyler, converse outlet, ghd hair, reebok outlet, nike trainers uk, timberland boots, hermes belt, bottega veneta, nike air max, chi flat iron, converse, nfl jerseys, insanity workout, soccer jerseys, north face outlet, baseball bats, celine handbags, soccer shoes, vans outlet, babyliss, nike roshe run, iphone cases, nike huaraches, hollister, nike air max, mont blanc pens, p90x workout, jimmy choo outlet, ray ban, gucci, asics running shoes, louboutin, north face outlet, mac cosmetics, ferragamo shoes, lululemon, oakley, valentino shoes, new balance shoes, wedding dresses, abercrombie and fitch

oakleyses said...

pandora charms, canada goose uk, pandora jewelry, karen millen uk, ugg uk, canada goose outlet, thomas sabo, swarovski crystal, marc jacobs, canada goose, montre pas cher, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, swarovski, toms shoes, moncler outlet, replica watches, canada goose outlet, canada goose, louis vuitton, links of london, moncler, doudoune moncler, ugg, pandora uk, juicy couture outlet, louis vuitton, louis vuitton, moncler, juicy couture outlet, hollister, louis vuitton, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, wedding dresses, moncler, coach outlet, canada goose outlet, moncler uk, pandora jewelry, ugg pas cher, canada goose jackets, moncler outlet, louis vuitton, moncler, supra shoes, canada goose

Logorrhea

  “Are you afraid of catching something?” I’m in the locker room, desperately trying to get out before the 15-minute deadline. I’ve got my b...