Sunday, August 03, 2014

The Entire Month is my Birthday!

“I’m going to be 39! Next week! 39! I am SO old!”
Shaking my toweled head, I laugh, “Oh, you are SO young!”

Stunning African Dance Woman opens her eyes wide, sparkling, “Really? Cuz I sure don’t feel that way.”
“Well, I know what you mean. Those ‘9’ years are hard. And then the decade one looms on the horizon. But your 40’s are the best if that’s any consolation.” I sink into the hot bubbles, sighing softly after successful navigation of Butterfly Mayhem Man in the lane next to mine.

“That’s what everyone keeps telling me!” SADW exclaims, glancing over at her friend who’s been soaking into a jet.
“I keep telling her that,” Jet Woman nods, turning slightly to gain the best jet action. It’s serious business.
“I know, huh? You do!”
I’m trying unsuccessfully to remember 39. It was so long ago. I give up. Nothing coming to mind other than the warm water therapy at hand. And the birthdays.

“Yes, I do.” Jet Woman doesn’t quite roll her eyes, but I can hear the eye roll.
“How’s it goin?” DL eases into the tub, her eyes wide with delight at the scene.
“Good, good,” I answer. “We were just talking birthdays. Her birthday is next month too.” I nod toward SADW. Why don’t I know her name yet? I’ve seen her every week for the last couple of months. But the name exchange takes time. It’ll come.
“Really?” DL grins. “What day?”
“August 4th.”
“Mine’s the 9th”

“I always say the ENTIRE MONTH is my birthday!” SADW exclaims.
“So does DL!” I cry.
DL beams, nodding, gives SADW a comrade in arms fist touch.
“I have since I was a little girl. My month. My birthday. Every day in the month of August is a celebration of me!” SADW continues.
“What’s up with that?” I ask.
Jet Woman shrugs, “I always thought it was a Black Thing.”
We all laugh. “But DL is Italian!” I exclaim.
“That still is Of Color,” SADW nods.

"And I’m a White Girl and I don’t celebrate the whole month, so there you go!” I proclaim.
The entire tub of women cracks up. I don’t tell them this, but I don’t really get the Entire Month Birthday celebration ritual. I mean, isn’t one day enough to remind you how old you are? But maybe it’s more about the celebration of “ME”. That if the entire month is your birthday, well, then every day is about you, and the wonder that is you and how fabulous it is to be alive and please, everyone, just don’t forget it, OK?

And how could you forget either DL or SADW? No way in hell could you. They’re both so THERE! And not just in the month of August, but every day of the year.

Right? So should we all be celebrating ourselves every day? Well, in some cases, I think so. Esp. if you’re turning 39. Maybe this way you wouldn’t forget it.

Now 40, I remember. The trip to Paris. The almost thwarted by a migraine trip to the top of the Eifel Tower.
I’ll never forget that birthday.
But 39?

Hell, it’s gone. And that’s okay. I’ve got DL and SADW to remind me how fabulous it is to be 39 .....or ? How old is DL gonna be?

39?

Yeah!

Happy 39 every day of this month of August, DL!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this story. Such a great affirmation of celebrating ourselves and our existence, and of course, DL'S existence! Pictures are great too! >^..^<

Cj said...

Thanks for this nice comment, Anonycat! DL will live forever! And so will all the ladies of Utopia!

And I think, sometimes, the pictures are my favorite part of creating these blogs. So thanks for this ,too !

Earthquake?

  The blast of the whistle screams at me from above. Initially, I ignore it. They’ve been having lifeguard training at Kennedy High Pool for...