Sunday, November 22, 2015

Time Out?


“Time out! Time out!” The little round gnome of a man waddles toward me. Out of the pool now, he hollers and grins, his squashed Santa-like visage all crinkles and sprinkles.
What’s he talking about? I wonder as I perch on the edge of the deck, feet in the water, preparing my cap, mask and earplugs for my swim.

I glance over at Ian, who’s already in the pool. He’s giving me the Big Grin. It’s the Theater of the Pool. All the deck’s a stage!

“I saw you coming,” Time Out Santa huffs at me, getting closer and closer to my sacred prep spot on deck. Giggling, I nod, again wondering why he’s so excited. Why is he yelling ‘time out’ at me? Do I need a time out? Isn’t that what frustrated moms yell at their kids when they’ve been brats? “Matilda! Stop biting your brother! Time out!” And Matilda pouts. The brother beams. The mom shakes her head as she drags Matilda over to the corner of the room, away from her brother and all biting temptations.
Yet, doesn’t everyone need a time out?

I could actually use a time out. Maybe not in the bratty child meaning, but in general. It’d be nice to have some time out. To just you know, hang out. Do nothing. Stare at the wall. Or the sky. Lie on my back in the green green grass and stare at the clouds. Float in the sea in Waikiki. Watching the little fishies swimming under me.
Yes, a Time Out would be real nice right about now.

Yet, I don’t think that this is Time Out Man’s meaning. Though, frankly I can’t really figure it out. And don’t try now as I need to get in the pool before I freeze to death.

“I saw you coming,” he repeats, close to me now. I see his grizzled white whiskers and bright blue eyes close up. He’s very excited. Why?
Not knowing how to respond, I just nod, continue tucking my hair in my cap.

“The lane….” he grins. “It’s all yours!”
“Oh….thanks,” I smile, the giggles starting to bubble up. Why is he so funny? Is it the way he waddled over to me, flailing his arms about and yelling ‘Time out’? Why is this so funny? Maybe it’s the non sequitur aspect of the hailing? Maybe it’s his appearance? So round and crinkly and St. Nickly.

I dunno. But I can’t stop giggling and Ian, I can see outta the corner of my eye, is laughing too.
“It’s my favorite lane….” I offer, slipping on a big fin.
“Me too!” he confides, winking at me. “I have to pee a lot.”
“Oh…..”
The lane is the closest one to the locker rooms, yes, but….the pool is small. All the lanes are pretty close to the locker rooms. And…do I need this intimate bladder condition divulgement? I mean, I can relate. I have to pee a lot, too. But hell, I’m not gonna tell Time Out Man this. Is this what Time Out means? It’s time to get out cuz he hasta pee?

Gross.

Later in the Prius on our way to Safeway, Ian speculates that it was just this meaning, “It’s the bad English shorthand,” he ventures, beginning his usual circular analysis speculation. “He probably meant it was time for him to get out, and so he just says, “Time out’ meaning time for me to get out when you and I might say It’s time for me to get out and…..”
“Yeah,” I agree, kinda understanding, “you’re probably right.”

But with Time Out Man, there was a part of me that felt somehow blessed. That the ‘Time Out’ was some sort of special permission bestowed upon me. My favorite lane was vacated just for me. And Time Out Man had made it possible.

And isn’t this just a most wonderful bestowment? Your favorite lane just handed to you with no strings attached? All Time Out Man wanted was to give me a treat. My favorite lane. Free and clear.
Time Out, indeed!
I needed that!

5 comments:

RJJ said...

And so... at this most celebrated "time" of the Year, we can all give to those close to us and to folks just passing by a precious greeting of "time out" and perhaps the gizmoities which infects us all, can just be put in the car or wherever...

Cj said...

Yes! Hear hear and good cheer! Thanks for reading, as always, Gilda!

oakleyses said...

prada outlet, ugg boots, polo outlet, louis vuitton, jordan shoes, louboutin pas cher, nike outlet, tiffany and co, tory burch outlet, longchamp pas cher, chanel handbags, ray ban sunglasses, replica watches, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, nike air max, polo ralph lauren outlet online, tiffany jewelry, nike free run, louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses, prada handbags, air max, polo ralph lauren, oakley sunglasses wholesale, kate spade outlet, ray ban sunglasses, uggs on sale, oakley sunglasses, replica watches, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, christian louboutin uk, cheap oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet, louis vuitton outlet, gucci handbags, christian louboutin shoes, nike air max, longchamp outlet, sac longchamp pas cher, longchamp outlet, michael kors pas cher, christian louboutin outlet, nike roshe, nike free, ugg boots, burberry pas cher, christian louboutin

oakleyses said...

hollister, vans, mcm handbags, hollister clothing, longchamp uk, herve leger, lancel, beats by dre, ralph lauren, instyler, converse outlet, ghd hair, reebok outlet, nike trainers uk, timberland boots, hermes belt, bottega veneta, nike air max, chi flat iron, converse, nfl jerseys, insanity workout, soccer jerseys, north face outlet, baseball bats, celine handbags, soccer shoes, vans outlet, babyliss, nike roshe run, iphone cases, nike huaraches, hollister, nike air max, mont blanc pens, p90x workout, jimmy choo outlet, ray ban, gucci, asics running shoes, louboutin, north face outlet, mac cosmetics, ferragamo shoes, lululemon, oakley, valentino shoes, new balance shoes, wedding dresses, abercrombie and fitch

oakleyses said...

pandora charms, canada goose uk, pandora jewelry, karen millen uk, ugg uk, canada goose outlet, thomas sabo, swarovski crystal, marc jacobs, canada goose, montre pas cher, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, swarovski, toms shoes, moncler outlet, replica watches, canada goose outlet, canada goose, louis vuitton, links of london, moncler, doudoune moncler, ugg, pandora uk, juicy couture outlet, louis vuitton, louis vuitton, moncler, juicy couture outlet, hollister, louis vuitton, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, wedding dresses, moncler, coach outlet, canada goose outlet, moncler uk, pandora jewelry, ugg pas cher, canada goose jackets, moncler outlet, louis vuitton, moncler, supra shoes, canada goose

Earthquake?

  The blast of the whistle screams at me from above. Initially, I ignore it. They’ve been having lifeguard training at Kennedy High Pool for...