Saturday, December 05, 2015

The Russians Can Do IT


“The Russians can do it! We can do it!” Annaliese raises her arm in emphatic emphasis. Grins from ear to ear.
I nod, chuckling. She’d been telling me about how she swims at the Richmond Plunge at 8 a.m. on Sunday mornings.

Already, she’s more Russian than I am. 8 a.m. on Sundays? I’m snuggled in bed with the kitty and Ian, dreaming of spaces ships with calico cats and pools with gads of children.

“And I go to the Plunge,” she tells me, her French accent becoming thicker in her excitement of the narrative. “And it is so cold. It is so hard, you know?”

“Oh, yeah. I was going to try to come to the Y last Tuesday night, but it was cold. It was dark. I just stayed home under the electric blanket and watched Supergirl.”

She nods, “Yes, you see? It is hard in the winter. And I go to the Plunge. And when I get in the water, it is warm. It is all over your body…..” She makes a sensuous gesture that only a Frenchwoman can make –is this somehow Frenchist? But you know what I mean? The way she wraps both her arms around herself, and slowly undulates as if she’s climbing into the pool right there at the base of the stairs of the Hilltop YMCA, the hands creating a wave of the water that is wrapping her body in its warm embrace.

“…but then, as you swim, your body, it is in the water and the water, it is cold and your body is now used to the water and so you are cold too.” She shakes her head. It is so sad. The cold water.
But then she brightens, “The Russians can do it. We can do it!”
I laugh.
“You know how they swim in the cold water?”
“Sure,” I grin.
“We can too.”
“Okay, I’ll remember that.”

And we both laugh, but for myself I can’t imagine being Russian. Where do Russian swimmers swim? What cold water is there for their hearty Russian Constitutions? Is it the Black Sea? Is it the Baltic Sea? Is it some goddamn lake on Tolstoy’s estate?
I have no idea.

All I do know is that I’m no Russian. I like much of what is Russian. Rachmaninoff. Dostoevsky. Vodka.
But, the cold swimming stamina?
Nope, not for me.
Give me the warm tropical oceans of Hawaii any day.
Now there’s a people and a place that I can relate to. And the main reason?
The swimming. It is warm!
The Hawaiians can do it! We can do it too! Swim in the warm warm sea of Waikiki. See the bright yellow fishes.

Drink the Matais.

Do the hula.
Well, maybe not the hula. But frankly, for me, I’d have better luck tackling the hula than the frozen waters on Tolstoy’s estate any day!

4 comments:

RJJ said...

I remember well those little Yellow Fish... Molokini was the place...
as for swimming in the ,well, it tales all of my courage just to swim...warm water is a must...

Cj said...

Yes, the yellow fishes of Hawaii are phenomenal! They seem like they're from another planet--but then everything in warm water Hawaii seems that way!

It's not called Paradise for nothing!

Thanks for reading and commenting,RJ!
Cj

oakleyses said...

prada outlet, ugg boots, polo outlet, louis vuitton, jordan shoes, louboutin pas cher, nike outlet, tiffany and co, tory burch outlet, longchamp pas cher, chanel handbags, ray ban sunglasses, replica watches, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, nike air max, polo ralph lauren outlet online, tiffany jewelry, nike free run, louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses, prada handbags, air max, polo ralph lauren, oakley sunglasses wholesale, kate spade outlet, ray ban sunglasses, uggs on sale, oakley sunglasses, replica watches, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, christian louboutin uk, cheap oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet, louis vuitton outlet, gucci handbags, christian louboutin shoes, nike air max, longchamp outlet, sac longchamp pas cher, longchamp outlet, michael kors pas cher, christian louboutin outlet, nike roshe, nike free, ugg boots, burberry pas cher, christian louboutin

oakleyses said...

hollister, vans, mcm handbags, hollister clothing, longchamp uk, herve leger, lancel, beats by dre, ralph lauren, instyler, converse outlet, ghd hair, reebok outlet, nike trainers uk, timberland boots, hermes belt, bottega veneta, nike air max, chi flat iron, converse, nfl jerseys, insanity workout, soccer jerseys, north face outlet, baseball bats, celine handbags, soccer shoes, vans outlet, babyliss, nike roshe run, iphone cases, nike huaraches, hollister, nike air max, mont blanc pens, p90x workout, jimmy choo outlet, ray ban, gucci, asics running shoes, louboutin, north face outlet, mac cosmetics, ferragamo shoes, lululemon, oakley, valentino shoes, new balance shoes, wedding dresses, abercrombie and fitch

Earthquake?

  The blast of the whistle screams at me from above. Initially, I ignore it. They’ve been having lifeguard training at Kennedy High Pool for...